Sunday, November 15, 2009

Manny Pacquiao


Finally exams are over and I get to have one of the greatest weekends - well even better the greatest Sundays. First to the closure of such a great Sunday - Manny Pacquiao is the Filipino that every Filipino wants to be. I am probably one of the most plastic pinoys in the world - and to find an ethnicity to cling onto has been difficult these past 27 years. But with a sport that I have been heavily involved in, I cannot do anything else but embrace my Mum's culture and the blood that runs in my veins. It is probably borderline wrong to do so and argubly cheeky but this 'cousin' just wrote history tonight.

I know nobody (and let's face it - if someone was to say to me that a Filipino boxer will be the greatest fighter in his generation I would probably laugh at you) would have thought that Pacman would be where he would be:
- 7 titles in 7 weight classes
- Beating the odds and critisicms that all his fighter were not good enough or not big enogh (the usual banter)
- Number 1 Pound for pound
- settling himself next to the greats such as Ali, Leonard, De La Hoya
the list carries on. But if I could I would just say - Good on you Manny Pacquiao - you made your country men proud. You are my "David Tua".

No comments:

Post a Comment